Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Language Experiment...

Part 1
Since I didn’t have a lot of willing participants for this assignment, I had to enlist the help of my brother who is the most easy going person I know.  Initiating the conversation was difficult since neither one of us knew what to talk about.  In order to get the conversation going, I used a calendar as a prop and began by pointing to dates on the calendar to see if he knew what I was asking him.  The first questions were easy as he remembers almost everyone’s birthday.  The harder question for him was our parent’s anniversary.  I used various symbols such as holding up numbers for the number of years they were married, to the symbol of people walking, to represent two people walking together down an aisle, to hands together to symbolize prayer. (If any of these symbols happen to overlap with ASL, it would have been purely coincidental since I don’t know ASL).  He got the individual meanings of each symbol, and came close to guessing the number of years married, 44, and the people walking together symbol, and that hands together in prayer meant church, so after repeating these symbols several times, he was able to understand that their combined meaning was anniversary.  I am not sure if the entire communication using hand expressed symbols lasted 15 minutes, although it felt like at least that much time had lapsed for him to get the meaning of each question I was asking him using only hand expressed symbols.
Part 2
Before this assignment, I had printed out the “just so stories” posted on last week’s blog about mimic the octopus.  I decided to read him each story without moving my hands, changing the inflection of my voice or looking up at all during the reading.  I read each story in an even consistent tone of voice, although I broke character a couple of times by laughing because some of those stories are so funny, its hard not to laugh.  At the end of reading, I asked him in the same tone of voice which story he liked the best.  He said they all sounded the same to him.  Anyone who took the time to read everyone’s “just so story” knows that each story was very unique and while some had some similar themes none of the stories were alike.  Therefore it was easy to conclude that without including any other elements of communication, such as changing the inflection of the voice or head movement or eye contact, that the words did not seem convey different meanings. I recall from some of my previous studies that it has been cited that approximately 90% of language is non-verbal. I followed up with this by reading an article online that also referenced that 70% to 90% of language is in fact non verbal (http://faculty.buffalostate.edu/smithrd/UAE%20Communication/Unit2.pdf).  It is clear from conducting this experiment and the literature on language that non-verbal language plays a huge part in the process of communication.  Therefore it gives us some clues to how our early ancestors were able to expand non verbal communication into a much more elaborate form communication using the alphabet or characters like those used in Asian cultures.  Although the fossil record cannot provide a complete picture about how language evolved in hominins or Neanderthals, it is possible to understand how simple non verbal cues could lead to a much more elaborate system of language that we use today.  It is amazing to me that some symbols are universal no matter what language you speak. For example, the flashing symbol of a hand, clearly means to “stop” and the picture of someone walking means “go.”

5 comments:

  1. Excellent use of the "Just-so Stories"! :-) Not only did it provide a good test for the experiment, but it also demonstrated to problems of communicating ideas via text (emails or texting) as it must be done without body language. Its very easy to miss a point of mis-read a point and even take offense from an email.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow way to go. This is very interesting. I love how you approached each method of communication. I think symbolizing a wedding would be quite hard to do if you couldn't just clearly state it. I had much trouble when I tried this because I couldn't come up with simple subjects to symbolize. The truth is, however, 90% of language really is non-verbal. You cannot convey the same message without use of tone, motion, or facial expression. I have noticed that some symbols, for whatever reason, are just engraved in us at birth. I find this quite interesting. Your discussion about the flashing symbol of the hand is a perfect example of this. It clearly means "No." In this case, it means "Stop." Quite similar in meaning, don't you think? Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very interesting that you used the Just-So stories to analyze through comparison. The result that they all sounded the same is understandable. I can relate on the fact that you were unable to find any willing participants. I had the same problem, so I ended up asking my girlfriend if she would be the one to help me. I wonder if the experiment would be different if we tried to communicate with people that were not so close to us? Anyways, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey what's up Bones

    I can see that you created an interesting game with the first part of the assignment. when I did the assignment my friends and I we did not say anything relevant =/

    you were very creative to use just so story for the second part of the assignment, so with this example one can demonstrate the importance to of body language to communicate emotions

    p.s. thank you so much for the article!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bones,
    Let me start by saying great post. It was a great idea to use something like a calender to start off the experiment. It was also a great idea to use the symbols available to help him further; seems like it kept the non-verbal conversation flowing instead of him being stuck guessing. I never thought doing that when I did my experiment with my friends.

    ReplyDelete